Sunday, July 22, 2012

Simba at Mikumi


Simba at Mikumi 

One eagerly anticipated highlight of the Peace Corps Training schedule is designated in our syllabus as “Trainee Directed Activity”, covering 2 days of our 5th weekend in country.  This is about ½ way through the course.  Since arrival, we have been going to school at least 6 days a week, from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm or thereabouts.  Sundays are for Time with Host Families, but in reality we do our laundry, call home, go downtown to bars to drink beer. 

The “Trainee Directed Activity” is traditional; every year the Trainee group does the same thing.  We go out of town, overnight, as a group, on a completely unchaparoned safari to Mikumi National Game Park about 2 hours south west of Morogoro.   This year the group leader was a quiet and intelligent young woman who handled all the details;  dala dala’s to take us there, reservations at a small hotel just outside the park, tickets to the park itself.   She did a great job, and it looked at first like a lot of work for her, but she was aided by our Training Co-coordinator, who told her what other groups have done in the past, and supplied her with names, references and telephone numbers.  We would bus over, have lunch and go out into the park on the same buses, then come back for dinner and to spend the night.  We were promised simple accommodations with mosquito nets, fans and hot water. The whole thing cost about 90,000 T-shillings, or less than $60.00. 

Out of town!  Two days off in a row!! Wild animals!!!  Whoo hoo!   I was unprepared, although then not too surprised, to learn that a majority in the group under 40 looked forward to getting drunk as early in the outing as possible and staying that way for the duration.  I saw 1 young man’s backpack before we loaded up on Saturday morning:  a pair of clean under wear, a clean T-shirt, and 2 liters of booze.  As a mom, I hope he had his toothbrush packed in there out of sight.  I also hope he was preparing to share.   I was as ready for a break as anybody, and looked forward to seeing actual wild animals in Africa, as opposed to chickens, goats, cows and the ugliest dogs imaginable.   I just didn’t automatically assume that it would involve inebriation.   I am such an old fogey.   

It was a ton of fun though.  We went in dala dala’s, small busses of about 25 passengers each.  After the town rides, which involve maybe twice that many people on the dala’s, these relatively large, newer, and clean busses, all to ourselves, seemed luxurious.  We traveled away from the mountain and out onto a flat, tree-strewn plain.  After only 30 or so miles away from Uluguru, it was drier and dustier, and the red dirt of Morogoro gave way to brown.  Occasionally we would see a baobab tree, like the plane trees, typical of Africa:  huge, fat –looking trunk and spindly, leafless branches.  It is a nightmare tree out of a Tim Burton movie, a child’s drawing of a misshapen creature-tree, it always grows alone, and makes the eye uneasy.  

 We had to cross over Mikumi to get to the hotel and check in before going out to see our animals.  There is a major road thru the park that leads to Iringa, a capital of the mountainous region of the south.  The park officials protect their stock-in-trade from being slaughtered on the road by having it be 50 kilometers of gravel punctuated by speed bumps at about every 50 meters.  So you make a slow, dusty progress, with the drivers still trying to make the best time possible while sparing their suspensions, jockeying for the best cross-over of the bumps, which sometimes puts you on a collision course with a semi coming the other way.   There is lots of traffic.  I was surprised by the number of safi busses, Land Rovers, and modern looking semi’s hauling materials.  

And yes, we saw wild animals.  That first morning we saw zebra, hartebeest, baboons and twiga:  giraffes.  It caused a tremendous amount of excitement, people in my bus were careening from one side of the aisle to the other to get a view, and take pictures. 

The hotel, which was called the Genesis, had a lovely courtyard covered by a bower of bougainvillea, and the rooms were airy, clean and had in-suite baths with toilets and separate showers!  The Hilton couldn’t have been more welcoming or appreciated.  We ate lunch with really cold beer and then set out for the interior of the park. 

I wouldn’t say that Mikumi is a pretty place.  Especially after the red clay hillsides, coconut groves and banana trees of Morogoro, it seemed bare, and flat.   Very Texas-like.   A lot of the grass had recently been burned-over.  Since there are no houses or other structures in the park, it was hard to tell if it had been done on purpose.  The trees were dry land types, shrubby acacia and plane trees.  It looked droughty to me.  We were first driven out to a tank in which resided 5 or 6 shy hippopotamuses.   They stayed in the middle of the pond, huffing and diving and trying not to make eye-contact.  We then sort of drove around aimlessly, although we did see a small family of elephants grazing away by the side of the road.  We saw more twiga and zebra, more hartebeest and baboons.  A lot of people were drinking.  My seatmate, a charming young woman from Long Beach, had a bottle of Konyagi, the local flavored grain beverage.  It tasted like Triple Sec, only less sweet and viscous.  She shared quite a bit of it with me.  Some people were already obviously drunk.  It was fun, not hot at all, a nice way to spend the afternoon. 

As the sun set we crossed the highway to try to bag our last major unsighted wild animal:  Simba.  We had been told that lions are not regularly seen in the park, although they do reside there and eat the zebra and hartebeest.  Our two busses drove quite a ways in to the bush and stopped at a clearing.  We were not allowed to get off, and it was dusk.  No Simba, not even a little roar. 

Africa is black at night.  Some people took off for town to try to eat somewhere else than the hotel.  I elected to stay put and had dinner in the dark, lovely, cool courtyard, but after my second glass of wine I had to turn myself in and go to bed. It is a sign of my advanced years that I can pretty quickly be struck drunk; that’s why I don’t usually drink as much as I did that day. It couldn’t have been more than 8:30 pm.  I was filthy dirty but didn’t take a shower, just put on my night gown and threw myself under the mosquito net.  I slept for a couple of hours and then gradually became aware that people were enjoying themselves quite a bit outside my room.  I think the party was pretty much indoors by 3:00 am.  Some stories just don’t need to be told, especially if they are related to me the next morning over chai.  I don’t deserve to tell them.  But I think it’s safe to say that everybody blew off a head of steam.  Perhaps some special friendships were kindled.  That will be part of the continuing journey that is Peace Corps. 

When I got home I almost cried.  Mama had changed my sheets and done some laundry for me.  I did some more, my clothes from Mikumi were truly filthy; they probably should be washed twice.  The first thing Flora asked me was did we see Simba.  When I told her no, she seemed disappointed.  Later, at dinner, I told her I thought that the park seemed dry, maybe it was a drought, or the fire.  She nodded wisely.  “I think it is because no Simba,” she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment